Berenice / Cygnus (Coking Coal)
- Mining Right application lodged with the Department of Mineral Resources (DMR)
- Environmental Scoping study accepted by the DMR
- Shallow, consistently developed coal seams
- 20km from railway line linked to Maputo (680km) and Richards Bay ports
- Renewal of the Cygnus prospecting right granted
Berenice: 50% with option to 74%
Cygnus: 50% with option to 74%
Coal Resource (JORC compliant)
1.35Bt Resource (gross tonnes in-situ)
Soft coking and thermal coal
The Berenice/Cygnus Coking Coal Project is located in the Soutpansberg coalfield 90km southwest of Musina, outside environmentally sensitive areas such as the Mapungupwe World Heritage Site and proposed environmental buffer zones.
A JORC compliant coal resource of 1.35Bt (gross tonnes in situ) of which 424.91Mt are measured, 800.92Mt indicated and 124.29Mt inferred.
Concept Study on the project confirmed that the project is viable and can support a sustainable 10 million tonne per annum (run of mine) operation with a life of mine (open cast) well in excess of 25 years, producing both primary soft coking and secondary thermal coal products.
Geotechnical study, hydro census and beneficiation test work completed.
Detailed environmental impact assessment in progress.